Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Teaching Applied English

In recent months, I have really been reflecting on my teaching English. I think of all the good things I did to be flexible and to support my students, but then I really face the fact that in many ways, I enabled non-reading in my class.
I knew that there were various levels in my class, and yet I taught everyone the same novel at the same time for sometimes WEEKS on end. Did I really support my students' reading? When the expectations are so very open in Ontario for English courses, why do we insist on teaching the same old things in the same old ways? When we do integrate technology, do we ask students to connect with others in the world? Create authentic products for authentic audiences? Or are we doing the same things with a computer? These are the things that make me go hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment